Page last updated: 11 February, 2021, 3:35pm
24/7 Secondary Care Consultant Helpline
Helpline telephone number: 01245 513 938
A 24/7 helpline staffed by secondary care consultants was set up to support primary care staff in their decision-making regarding care home and frail elderly patients.
The aim is to help avoid distressing trips to the hospital.
What the helpline can help you with?
- Treatment escalation and resuscitation decisions
- Advice on appropriateness for acute hospital admission (bearing in mind the extreme pressure at present)
- Advice and guidance on management of COVID in the community
- Medical advice concerning a deteriorating patient with an acute or worsening medical condition
- Support for complex decision making that would result in an admission avoidance to the acute Trust.
What they can’t help you with:
- Referring you onto the acute Trust after conversing (i.e. Medical Registrar)
- Visiting the patient in their care setting
- Speaking to relatives or patients concerning the care
- Offering the service to nursing staff on the ward directly. The discussion should come through the medical practitioner.
We also have a dedicated section on our website with various tools and resources to support elderly residents.