Page last updated: 18 February, 2021, 10:41am
Primary Care Infrastructure Project (PIP)
GP IT: Practice infrastructure update programme
Working in partnership with Essex CCGs, we have an ongoing commitment to improve and modernise the IT infrastructure in GP Practices. This is the equipment that typically sits in your communications cabinet, making sure your day to day IT equipment;
- is protected with the most up to date cyber-security controls and tools (via a Firewall)
- has a reliable back-up power supply should you lose power to the Practice (a UPS)
- is running in the most optimal way to enable reliable connection of your current devices and clinical systems to the network, and allow for further expansion (via Switches/Servers)
Not all Practices need this work, but if you do someone will be in touch to schedule a date. We are planning to do the work out of hours to avoid any disruption to clinical services and to your staff at this very busy time (but may need a short in-hours survey visit in some cases).
What will we be doing?
- Getting in touch to explain what work is needed, arrange a survey (if needed) then schedule the work
- Asking you to make available someone who can give us access to the practice, and your comms cabinet
- Upgrading servers, switches, power supplies, firewalls and other infrastructure if it is needed
How long will it take, and how can you help?
- This depends on the work required, but we would expect most to be somewhere between 2 to 4 hours
- We may also have someone on site the next day to make sure everything is working fine
- Be as flexible as you can with allowing us to schedule a date, and ensuring someone is available to let us in, and give us access to all rooms and comms equipment
What will we not be doing?
- We will not fix any business as usual (BAU) issues, these should be raised to the AGEM Service Desk
- We will not be touching your desktops or laptops (unless specific configuration is needed)
- We will not be fixing issues with the power or cabling that forms the fabric of the building, this remains the practice responsibility (but we will highlight any issues/recommendations that we come across)
What happens after?
- We will ensure everything is working as expected before leaving the site
- Users should come in the next day and not even know we’ve been…these are just background changes
- If for any reason issues do occur then you should call the IT Service Desk as normal, they will liaise with the project team and get someone to talk to you or visit immediately
Our Project team will provide more detail when they get in touch to schedule our visit, if you have any questions or queries please raise them with them at that point.
Thank you for your support in helping us deliver this valuable work
AGEM Essex Service Desk:
Call: 0300 123 1020