Page last updated: 6 May, 2020, 4:04pm
Primary Care E-briefing (Issue 32) – 6 May 2020
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Important Bank Holiday information
- Summary of mid and south Essex broadcast teleconference
- New website for healthcare professionals in mid and south Essex
- PPE fall back arrangement
- Primary care and community health support for care home residents
- Staff swabbing: standard operating procedure and FAQs
- New NHSE/I coaching programme
- Blossom awards
- ECFWS update for mid Essex
- PPE fraud
- Verification of death in a period of emergency • NHSE primary care COVID-19 bulletin
Important Bank Holiday Information
RE: 8 May bank holiday – it has been agreed to only operate respiratory hubs, extended access and IC24 to cover on this day. Note – the impact will be reviewed to inform decision making re. second bank holiday on 25 May.
REMINDER: information about claims for staffing on the Easter Bank Holiday Friday and Monday are included in the below letter.
Summary of mid and south Essex teleconference
Please click on the button below to download the notes from today’s broadcast teleconference (6 May 2020). Please note: there will not be a teleconference this Friday (8 May 2020).
Note: the next teleconference will therefore take place on Monday 11 May, 2020 at 13:00:
- Telephone number: 0330 336 4321
- Audience code to join: 08655341#
PPE: Fall back arrangement
The CCGs recognise that whilst supply chains are working around the clock to fulfil delivery requests, practices are experiencing delays with this suppliers of PPE. As such, we have put in place a process to support practices where their established route fails to deliver within its expected timeframe. The arrangement the CCGs have put in place can only be effective if practices continue to use their established supply routes as the first line for accessing PPE and that practices ensure that they try to forecast use of PPE to enable deliveries to be timely.
In short, the CCGs PPE arrangement:
1. Must not be used as a first line route for accessing PPE
2. Can only be used where practices demonstrate that orders have been made to other suppliers and that these have failed to deliver in time.
3. Will only provides a limited supply of PPE equipment for short term under stock ordered through the national system arrives (i.e. 3-5 days)
4. Will only provide the range of PPE appropriate to the procedures that are intended to be undertaken
5. Is not a guaranteed service and can only provide where sufficient stock should be sourced. This service cannot operate if abused. Usage of this service by each practice will be monitored closely.
6. Whilst the CCG will support practices accessing fall back supply of PPE, It is the role of practices, as employers to ensure that staff are provided with the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to do their job safely.
To access this service please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be asked to provide evidence of orders via other supply routes and be able to provide specific requirements for stock for 3-5 days use. This will need to include type of stock and size where appropriate. If approved, a member of practice staff will be required to attend a central venue to collect this stock.
Primary care and community support for care home residents
As mentioned on Monday’s teleconference, NHS England and Improvement have written to GPs, PCNs, CCGs, Community Services and Care Homes regarding the support that all systems will be required to offer to Care Homes
The requirements include:
- A weekly (remote) MDT that pulls together general practice, community services and other partners such as pharmacist, social prescribers and other appropriate supports services
- Review of “priority patients” not just limited to COVID-19
- Implement the use of remote monitoring tools such as pulse oximeters, BP devices and other technology
- Ensure patients have personalised care and support plans that include treatment escalation plans where appropriate
- Coordinate the support offered by the Medicines Optimisation in Care Homes provision
These arrangements will be put in place for all CQC registered care homes.
Local primary care teams are contacting with practices this week to support the implementation of the recommendations. Consideration is being given nationally to whether the PCN DES for Enhanced Care in Care Homes is implemented early. When clarity is received on this, we will relay this to primary care.
Staff swabbing: Standard Operating Procedure and FAQs
To support you with queries on staff swabbing, please find the standard operating procedure (SOP) and staff FAQs below.
New NHSE/I coaching programme: #LookingAfterYouToo
One off coaching sessions are available to all staff in primary care. Click below for more information:
Note: see below information re. recently launched ‘Blossom Awards’ to recognise inspirational members of the British-Chinese Community across the UK including those working for our NHS and in healthcare more widely. Nominations close on Friday 12 June 2020 and must be submitted on the Blossom Awards website.
Essex child and family wellbeing service: GP practice ‘link’ health visitor
We recently shared some information about the ECFWS in Essex including a directory of services for GP practices in Essex. We now also have the Mid Essex contact list for GPs, which you can download below.
Verification of death in a period of emergency
This guidance is designed to clarify existing practice for the verification of death outside of hospitals and to provide a framework for safe verification of death in this coronavirus emergency period. It is to be applied in all cases outside hospital when verification of death may be completed by people who have been trained to do so in line with their employer’s policies.